Monday, August 4, 2008

The Sweet Joy of Serving


I have to share this poem with you all! The Bishops wife spoke in sacrament a month or so ago and shared this poem. I was so touched by it.

"I don't want to drive up to the pearly gates in shiny sports car,
wearing beautifully, tailored clothes, my hair expertly coiffed, and
with long, perfectly manicured fingernails.

I want to drive up in a station wagon that has mud on the wheels
from taking kids to scout camp. I want to be there with grass stains
on my shoes from mowing sister Schenck's lawn.

I want to be there with a smudge of peanut butter on my shirt from
making sandwiches for a sick neighbor's children. I want to be there
with a little dirt under my fingernails from helping to weed
someones garden. I want to be there with children's sticky kisses on
my cheeks and tears of a friend on my shoulder.

I want the Lord to know that I was really here and that I really lived."

Marjorie Pay Hinckley

The Joy and blessing of service! If you are feeling down go do something for someone. That is living. I love this reminder and hope I can remember it often.

2 comments:

mikelle said...

I love that poem! It gives me chills everytime I hear or read it. Thanks for the reminder!

P.S. I just read your "About Me" profile and I didn't know you served a mission! That's awesome!

Tara said...

Thanks again for sharing that poem. It is so inspiring and such a great one!

Love the new blog look by the way! ;0)